Monday, March 19, 2012

While we wait....and wait a little more....

Mishmash from today so far...

1.  SLEEP - ahhhh...love it!  We actually went to bed last night about 9pm here and slept until NOON!  Felt great!

2.  Gifts - I spent the early afternoon unpacking and preparing gifts for the folks who have cared for V here, as well as for those who are helping us with travel, documents, etc.  And there are lots of treats for the kiddos who are at V's orphanage too - thanks for those who sent them.  Might need a sleigh soon :)
                                                                             

3.  Keys - Huh, so I didn't know that you can't open our apartment door from the INSIDE without the key.  Now I do!  Hubby went on an errand with our neighbor and I hear someone at the door...speaking Latvian.  Guess I'll let them in???  Ummm, no I won't - door won't unlock.  ACK!  They keep saying, "Open door?"  I keep saying, "No key."  Finally, the guy manages to ask if it is okay if they open the door.  Sure, why not?  In comes a lady from the apartment building office and a TV guy.  Not sure why they are here, but we'll go with it.  He did whatever and left.  Big lesson learned for me - go with Bryan or keep the key!

4.  Snow - I look out the window and see snow!  Yippee!!  Not a lot, but since we had hardly any in DC this winter, this is a beautiful bonus to our first full day in Latvia.


4.  Bank cards - Second lesson of the day - you should know your PIN for your bank card.  You see, I never use it at home, so when the machine here wants the pin, huh, it will not cooperate since I don't know it. And the company wants me to stop at a nearby office to get the pin. Welllll, that is a several hour plane ride away.  Also learned to get sim card replacement info for the Latvian phone ASAP because we now have no credits remaining so that the lawyer can reach us.  So much to learn....

5. Visit with Vitaly - He was so excited, we were so excited!  We arrived and the lawyer chatted with the workers, getting a frowny face that didn't thrill me.  Apparently there was a misunderstanding and V is still a few hours away at the other school/orphanage instead of arriving here today as she expected.  Bottom line - no visit today :(  Boo!  Patience, patience.  We can wait another day.  So can he.  Just disappointing.

6.  Double Coffee - The lawyer (LOVE her) suggests that Bryan and I enjoy the extra hours without kids, so we went for phone credits at the local Narvesson (like 7-11). Big excitement! Followed that up with a late meal at the Double Coffee nearby.  Back to the apartment now, hoping to Skype with the boys back home.

7.  Especially for Julia - One of my fellow Latvian/American adoptive mommas has been teaching me so much.  Seeing the simple things around me in new ways, mostly.  Anyway, this pic is for you Julia.  Much to learn still, but here were my thoughts:
     *Wonder how one "upgrades" a snack - are they referring to adding in a beer like on the picture?  Followed quickly by wondering why they are serving free wine on the plane.  Losing big bucks that way, I'd think.
       *The cold noodle package with veggies of some sort and a Thai type of sauce was interesting.  I mainly wondered if the people on the back had inspired this recipe?  If not, what had they done to earn such an honored place on the tray tables of so many.
        *The cherry shake one was a favorite.  Okay, so I really just wanted the cherry shake!  BUT, when I saw this ad for donating to plant a tree, figured that would make a great excuse for it.  Bonus :)

That is about it for today - many new things and people, blessings everywhere!
Joy and peace to each of you,
Sue 
                                                                                   

No comments:

Post a Comment