Friday, March 2, 2012

A Twist on the Lorax by Dr. Seuss

The Once-ler: Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing's going to get better. It's not.


This was read to our students at school today in the book, The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss for Read Across America Day.  Now, in the book, the point is referring to the environmental crisis taking place around the characters.  But I was struck by this quote and how it fits how I feel about the orphan crisis right now.  I suppose it fits any crisis but I can only speak to what I know and believe and understand - where my heart is right now....


*I know that there are so many, many kids who are in desperate need of a family - in America and all around the world.


*I know that getting those children into a family is not likely to happen without the help of a LOT of other people and funds because there are not enough "rich" folk to equal the number of kids in need.


*I know that this isn't going to get better by talking or studying the problem - someone (you, me) must care a whole awful lot.  When you care a lot, you will do and give whatever it takes.  You care more than you fear.  And, slowly, one life at a time, things DO change.


*I know that a young man in Latvia just sent me a message begging us to come faster for him because he doesn't like it there.  Honey, I'd be there tomorrow if not for the system.  He NEEDS us to care an awful lot.  And he is not alone.  


*I know that not all can or should adopt.  I also know that many more could or could help those who do.  


So...on this Dr. Seuss celebration day I just ask - are you open to caring a whole awful lot?  For just one child?  Host him.  Adopt her.  Give to those who are trying to.  And for those who do/are - BLESS YOU!  

No comments:

Post a Comment