Sunday, September 16, 2012

The "Art" of Adoption

I enjoy finding comparisons between life experiences and tangible symbols of them.  This morning I was thinking about how adoption might be seen in art.  There are probably many ways, maybe many that are more appropriate than what I have found here, but two forms found their way into my heart today:
First is the mosaic - the photo is of a favorite work of art.  It was created by the people of my faith community during a response to a message there.  The stones were placed by men, women, and kids present, including me.  It was a very moving experience to watch this mosaic go from its plain beginning state to something beautiful.  As each person chose a stone and a location for it, the beauty grew.  This is the result, and I love it!  The picture doesn't do it justice, but you get the idea hopefully. 



the mosaic table from our church - which stone do you think is mine?

I see adoption as similar to the mosaic in that lives are intermingled to create something that is more intricate and amazing than they would be alone.  Some stones are shaped differently; some stones are tiny, others larger; some shine, while some have a deeper glow.  People really are not much different from that, are we?
Only one aspect of the mosaic was limiting me in my search for an art form to symbolize adoption.  The mosaic is set once it has been created.  It captures a moment, a commitment at a certain time, the beauty created by a unique group of people that represents relationships cemented by love.  However,  I was seeking a more fluid form....
Then, I remembered the KALEIDOSCOPE!!!  The unique pieces that are collected in the inner chamber are each necessary for the end result.  Every color and shape contributes to the design - actually, the more colors and shapes, the more layers of complex beauty.  Pieces added would only increase that.  What sold me on this as the expression that I was looking for, was the fluidity of it.  A kaleidoscope is MADE to change.  Relationships are not static.  Life happens.  When the slightest movement or a twist of the barrel jars the pieces, the design changes.  Not the beauty.  Not the dependence upon one another.  The relationships do.  The resulting design does. 


With adoption, we CHOOSE to add another element, one that is crafted from very differnt material, to the core of the family kaleidoscope.  The patterns created are breathtaking.



We really can't have too much beauty, can we??  So, an update...
Two of the children from my last post have been chosen for the summer!  So many remain... maybe there is one (or more) that might add something amazing to YOUR life.  Message me or contact New Horizons for Children for more information.

With growing hope,
Sue




Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment