Friday, May 25, 2012

Celebrating Life!

Let the partying begin!
I was reading earlier today about kids "graduating" from orphanages in Eastern Europe.  Got me thinking about what that means for them at 16 or 17 and with so little to support them as they make their way....  Reminded me too about what could be instead for the millions of children who wait for a family.

It is a season of celebrating for us right now.  Much to be thankful for!
 *Nate is graduating from high school and is headed to University of Maryland
 *Vitaly's 15th birthday - the first here in America
 *My mom's birthday 
 *A trip to Latvia to finalize V's adoption - praying for dates to come SOON!
 *End of the school year for all of us
 *Jordan finishes middle school, gets ready for high school
 *Andrew finishes sophomore year and is of driving age
 *Nate goes to the prom with a friend, gets chosen for the lacrosse all-star team, and wins an award for his
   spirit and character on and off the playing field
 *Bryan and I will be married for 21 years on 6/29
 *AND that is just over the next few weeks and months!

My point isn't to brag - though I am awfully proud of my loved ones! - but to just think about how different life is for so many children.

What is it like to have a birthday or graduation that isn't celebrated?  I can't even imagine :*(

How does it feel to have not one living person who loves you enough to give up everything for you?

When you see other children chosen by families, but yours hasn't come for you yet - what does that do to a child?

When you hit the "magical" age when you are no longer adoptable - a door closes that can't be opened ever again....

So, I am celebrating blessings beyond what will fit on this screen but I'm also grieving for those who desperately want a taste of this life but are powerless to change their circumstances.

I believe with all of my heart that there are families for every single waiting child.  Every single one!  Maybe someone just needs to hear a name or see a picture or watch another child's story unfold ...  I share our story for these reasons.  There is enough life to go around!

Bring on the celebrations!  Come and party with us :)

1 comment: