Saturday, May 12, 2012

Blame it on Bev!

Who is Bev?  What am I suggesting that we blame on her?  Well, Bev is my mom. See the lovely lady in the photo below.  I'm suggesting that we blame, or better word thank her for our adoption of Vitaly.  Why?  Many reasons, but mainly:

My mom has struggled in many ways throughout her life.  Yet, I have spent 43 years watching her care for other people - my brother and me, especially after Dad died when she was in her 30s; aging parents, neighbors, and relatives who don't even realize how much she is helping; families in need at the holidays and year round; people that she hears about from others but she doesn't know personally....  I could go on forever.


There is not one living soul that I know who doesn't love my mom.  If there is, they need help.  Seriously!  She gives, gives, and gives some more.  Not perfect, but pretty close :)  Fighting cancer now, but still people are drawn to her and she doesn't turn away.

The reason that I "blame" her for V's adoption is this:  you can't spend 40 years watching someone give the way she does without it having an effect on you.  When adoption costs loom, well Mom has never had "enough" on paper, but it doesn't stop her from being generous.  She says that God will take care of it.

When I feel overwhelmed and in too deep, I remember how I've seen Mom in that situation over and over, sometimes a bit cranky (not often) and sometimes upset, but not for long.  Hope always returns and on she goes.

When others question our sanity or wisdom in adopting a teen from another country, I remember the conversations with Mom who never fails to encourage.

When I fear that my kids might not understand how important it is to hope and to give, I look at my brother - a big ole trucker with a soft heart for animals and those less fortunate.  He has embraced V 100% and they haven't even met yet. Texted and phoned (bit of a language challenge that is pretty amusing), but not in person so far.  Mom's example has touched him as well.  Maybe, just maybe, my boys will sift through my not-so-wonderful stuff and remember something important too one day.

So, thanks to Mom, V is with his second mother this Mother's Day I, that 2nd mom, am blessed to have him as one of my 4 unique young men of courage, strength, and purpose.

LOVE YA MOM xxxxxxxxoooooooo (includes Cinnamon and Sugar too, of course)





No comments:

Post a Comment