Saturday, September 10, 2011

Money is NOT the issue!

Hi friends,

Probably shouldn't write this now because I'm in a bit of a tirade/soapbox kind of mood...but I'm gonna do it anyway ;)  Here is the thing - I am SICK of how many people and institutions focus on money and finances when we are talking about a child's life. 
   *"Should you be doing this?  What about your other children's financial security?"
   *"Will you be able to retire if you spend a lot to adopt?"
   *"You rent right now.  That adoption money could be used as a downpayment for a home!"
   *"This doesn't make sense from a financial point of view.  Maybe wealthier families should be doing this."
   *"Is it right to expect others to pay for this adoption through donations and fundraisers?"
Some of these things have been stated.  Some have been inferred.  Some I've asked myself.....

Well, if you are one who has thought or said anything like this, it is okay for you to have your opinion.  However, I'll just add mine here.  You may disagree, but I can't let it go unsaid.  My thoughts about the above...

Seems simple to me.  Life trumps stuff.  Bottom line. 

Financial security is not what it seems - for those of us who believe in God - and Jesus' love for us, those are the places we find security.  The markets and gold and housing values are fickle.  God is always the same. Our kids have much more than they NEED.  What they "need" is to see how little others have, then to see how we can help.

Retire?  There is no guarantee we'll live that long!  If we do, retirement is a wonderful option, but it isn't a right.  If I need to work, that is okay.  I'd just find things to fill my time anyway.

Okay, I'd love to have a home.  Don't like paying a large rent payment that would cover a mortgage payment here.  BUT, a house isn't a home.  If I can only have one or the other, I prefer a home.  That isn't something that I have to own, but it does require love and joy - things you can't buy.

Doesn't make sense?  Well, neither does thousands of kids being sent off on their own to try to survive, totally unprepared.  Wealthier folks are welcome to join in, but there are so many kids who are alone.  It will take more than just those who can "afford" it to meet the vast need.  Besides, we do many things that don't "make sense" - won't step on too many toes by listing some :)  Not making sense doesn't usually stop us!

Donations/fundraisers?  Actually, my perspective on this is changing.  We don't have to have anyone donate anything for our son to come home.  We believe that the bills will be paid, one way or another.  However, I have always enjoyed being a part of giving to people and events that will make a difference.  There is a lot of joy in it!  And I am really excited about showing our child how many people helped him to come home.  I think that will be really healing for him - after so many losses and rejections.  BUT, please don't give grudgingly.  If you don't want to, or can't ,or disagree with our decision - it won't change our situation or V's.  He'll get home regardless.  These opportunities are not meant to irritate people into donating.  We welcome those who are so moved, of course.  But, the money is not important.  The message is - kids need families. 

Guess I'm done ranting and raving for this post.  If you want to be a part of bringing V home, current options include:  the donate button to the right; order from the Silpada jewelry party in the last post;  or give a New Horizons for Children donation in our name (tax deductible) - for a Christmas visit while we wait.  Their address is NHFC 3950 Cobb Parkway, Suite 708
Acworth, GA 30101 Phone 678-574-4677 FAX 678-574-4757. 


Until next time, when I'll try not to be cranky before i type :)  Sue

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post Suzan and I could not agree with you more. Ask the people in Nicaragua that have a family of 5-10 living in a 8x8 space that is literally 4 sticks wrapped with trash bags and a mud floor what they think of your finances. We are so well off compared to so many others yet so many think that we are not well off "enough" to bring these kids into a family. It is a hard, hard road to walk because so many people have a say in what happens and I totally understand your frustration. The people of America (not all, but most) really need to take a different perspective. It's not about "things" or "money", it's about giving a child love and a family. It's really not that hard to see.

    ReplyDelete