Sunday, May 26, 2013

Twists and Turns

Our summer includes this young man...
...we think....


He is the third child that we committed to hosting this year.  Three boys from three countries.  Two are no longer coming, but that is good. Why?  They have homes.  And without the changes in direction, we wouldn't have found Leo.  Unless God has other plans, we will share our lives with him for at least a month.  I say it this way because the two other boys came before him - boys that we will not even meet most likely, this side of heaven.  There is no guarantee that he will come either, though I am hopeful! I am learning that the twists and turns of life are a part of the journey - not to be feared but to be relished.  

We spent a lot of time praying and talking and debating about who would fit our family.  We have some circumstances which would lead us away from, say, a girl right now.  Anyway, after ages it seems we settled on a very young boy from V's birth country - Latvia.  We are comfortable with that culture and language.  The age seemed right.  We completed paperwork and were on our way!

Then came the phone call...his previous family wanted to rehost.  Ummmm...well of course!  They already love him!  There was no question that we relinquish our plans for what is clearly best for him.  But that left us back at the start.  Hmmmm....

After more rounds of discussion and many connections with the hosting coordinators, the best fit was a slightly older boy from a different country.  A tad out of the old comfort zone for all of us.  We know many who have hosted or adopted from Ukraine, but it was a new path for us.  Okayyyyy, we can stretch.  Paperwork filled out again.  Funding begun.  Met S's previous host mom, who was thrilled to have him come.  She was so helpful, as they couldn't rehost but wanted him to have a family.  Excitement building!  Phone call!!!  Same wonderful friend who called with the news about our first boy...  Maybe I shouldn't answer????  Just kidding, but the thought went through my mind!  Yep, this boy couldn't come.  He now has a family in his home country.  Well, that is the goal - a family!  So maybe we don't host this time?  There are many children left who wouldn't work out in our home.  Maybe the funds we raised can help them come to someone who just needs finances.  So, S's money was sent out to two beautiful girls who are now coming to someone else for the summer - love that!

Just to keep track on this winding road - there are now 4 children placed in homes for the summer, but none are with us!  

As the final hosting deadline looms, my hubby mentions a child on the China program who would be a sweet addition.  I will be honest - this was the biggest stretch for me.  You see I fear this program.  FEAR!!  The reason?  We don't appear to qualify beyond hosting - and I fear that I will end up loving a child that I can't mother for life.  Hubby isn't sure that we can handle funding again from scratch with only a short time to bring the money together.  Soooooo, I sit in the corner of our comfy couch and pray.  Lord, if this is to be the next turn that we take on the path, we will need some help.  What do you think?

In less than two hours, $2,600 was made available for Leo.  Wow!!  That is humbling and crazy, at least for me.  Guess my fears about the China program can be put in the hands of He who makes all things possible too.  

As of this moment, Leo will come.  We could receive another call in 5 minutes. If I see "that" number again, I may hand the phone to Bryan!  Another twist or turn in the story.  Or not.  You see, I'm learning to love with abandon and not fear what "might" be ahead, what I MIGHT lose.  If I do, there is so much that I'll miss FOR SURE!!!  

I truly hope that Leo comes and that those qualifications become open doors for a future together.  But if they don't, I can live with knowing that we were willing.  I can trust God with Leo's life and ours.  What I can't live with is not following the signposts that say "this way" just because I don't know if pain is on that path.  The reality is that pain of one kind or another is on every path.  But so is beauty and joy and pleasure. 
I am looking forward to walking along this one with my family and friends - and some of you.

There are a few children who will need a back-up family to host them at the last minute when challenges arise.  Chaperones will need a place to stay for a week or more - no cost to you, just hospitality.  And there will be another host season this winter with many more children who are in need of blessing you.  Families are still fundraising for hosting fees or adoptions right now.  Many just need encouragement along their journeys.  If you know someone who is hosting or adopting, please be that for them.  It is a wonderful way to live, but can be discouraging at times.  I'm happy to share more information about any of the above if you are drawn toward one or more.  Just let me know through comment or email at pittcrew10@gmail.com.  (that is pittcrew followed by the numeral one, @gmail.com)

Hope remembers that perfect love casts out fear....

Traveling on,
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment